Who are liable to tight hip flexors:
Most physiotherapists will tell you the most cases that come to them are of tight hip flexors. This problem is more common among those people who have jobs in which they have restricted movement sitting all day.
What are tight hip flexors:
Tight hip flexors can just not set in, but have a definite reason for this problem. It would either be happening due to some weakness or due to continuous sitting on a chair. The most common cause of this menace is the feebleness in the latter chain, insufficient core stability, motor control and poor alignment.
What tight hip flexors could do:
If these hip flexors remain in asimilar condition and are not treated then it can lay the foundation for hip pain and lower back pain. One can also be liable to groin muscles pain from this problem as these muscles are attached to that part as well and the tightness could lead the pain to affect that part of your body as well.
Why do hip flexors stretch:
If you stretch the muscles of hip area, the stretch will impart a certain pressure on this area and will not allow it to become hard and tight thus lowering the danger of any kind of injury to this area. If you add these exercises into your daily routine it will not avoid any kind of a pain in your hip area but also will provide it the proper amount of strength as well.
Seated Butterfly stretch:
This stretch targets your thighs, lower back, and hips. This is very simple exercise needing no equipment and consuming the very little time of yours.
- Sit on the floors in such a way that your back is straight and some pressure is being exerted on your abs.
- Then take both of your feet in front of you in such a way that both of them are joined and knees are bending out in the sides.
- Now relax your knees and allow them to fall a little towards the floor
- After this take deep breaths and keep on holding this position for about 20-30 seconds.
This is more of a yoga pose Which helps to strengthen your hip flexors present on the back side of your leg. This is quite an advanced move so make sure that you do it carefully.
- First of all, lie down in a plank’s position.
- Then lift your left foot slide it in the forward direction and keep it moving forward until it touches your right arm
- Now straighten your arm and lie down keeping your knee bending and having your hips square.
- Hold this stretch but make sure that your chest does not fall and when you are done repeat the same procedure with the other leg.
This stretch put the posterior chain of your body in action while stretching your hip flexors in such a way that they receive a proper amount of strength.
- Lie in such a way that your back is straight and is lying down on the floor while keeping your knees bent foot placed on the floor and arms at the side straightened.
- After this, while pressing into the heels pull your hips off the ground toward the sky.
- Hold this position for about 10-30 seconds depending upon your will and while holding this position take deep breaths.
Hip Strengthening exercise:
Above mentioned processes were intended to give stretching to your hip flexors. While these exercises will be strengthening your hip muscles and flexors so that you could not be prone to these problems are could lead a healthy life. These are best for people having weak flexors as it can provide them the proper amount of strength and stamina to them.
This is a very simple exercise which involves your thighs and hip muscles
- First of all stand straight while looking straight keeping your head as straight as possible.
- Take a small step forward with your right foot.
- While in the same position put your all weight on the right foot bend down your left leg
- Make sure that your left leg do not touch the ground and your right knee should be directly above your right ankle.
- Step back and take your original standing position.
- And then repeat the same process for your other leg.
Floor side mountain climbers:
For this exercise, you will need anything that can slide over the floor.
- Take a pushup position
- Keep your sliders under both of your feet.
- Then pull your right leg in front of the chest in such a way that your sliding that slider under your foot and then pause it for a second or two
- Now bring that leg back while sliding the slider and then repeat the same procedure with your other leg.
This exercise has the ability to give the stretch to your hip and also can give the required amount of strength.
- Lie down on the floor in such a way that your back is facing the floor and legs are straight.
- Then having your hands on the right knee bring your leg as close to your chest as possible, give some pull on the knee and then take back the leg as slowly as possible.
- Then repeat the same procedure with your left leg. And you will see effective results very soon.
Now that you are well aware of which exercises to perform whenever involved in such pain or problems. You should be repeating these processes daily if you want to avoid injury and other related problems.